Qualified within EU/EEA or in Switzerland

As a doctor, nurse, dentist or someone with another type of medical or dental qualification from another country, you are welcome to work at Region Halland.

There is a great deal of migration into the Halland region. Many people want to live and work here. We have outstanding average income growth, a high level of education, an excellent corporate climate and a healthcare sector that performs extremely well in national comparisons. But we can improve even further, and our vision is for Halland to be the best place to live.

Our doctors and nurses work in specialist healthcare, psychiatry and at health centres. Specialist healthcare is provided at the hospitals in Halmstad and Varberg and at specialist units in Falkenberg and Kungsbacka. The hospitals are jointly known as Halland Hospital. The region runs a total of 23 health centres in all six municipalities. As a dentist you work in the public dental service with both children and adults as patients.

To work with us, you need a Swedish license to practice your profession, a good knowledge of the Swedish language and you must be well acquainted with current Swedish healthcare legislation.

Swedish professional license

If you have a license to practice your profession issued in the EU/EEA or Switzerland, you are in many cases entitled to a Swedish license with no requirement to supplement your education or training. The license is issued by the Swedish National Board of Health and Welfare.

You can send in your application for the license the first day you come to Sweden. The process of approval tend to be quite long, so the sooner you apply the faster you can receive your license.

Language requirements

To ensure high-quality, safe healthcare we require medical and dental personnel to have a knowledge of Swedish that is at least at level C1 on the Council of Europe (CEFR) scale. See the document on the right.

For doctors, more information is available through the Swedish Medical Association and for healthcare personnel, through Vårdförbundet (the Swedish Association of Health Professionals).